In order for a computer to stay fast and reliable it must be well maintained. a computer can stay in good condition for many years if it is properly maintained. Here are ten tips on how to properly maintain your computer.
1. Be sure to have a good antivirus software installed in your computer and make sure that it is always updated. Viruses are among the main causes of computer failure. A complete virus scan should be performed regularly. avoid visiting websites that are suspected to be infected with malware. Do not open e-mails whose sender seemed shady, they could contain deadly malware that can put your system at risk.
2. Defragment your disk regularly. Defragmenting your disk once in every two or three months is a good way to ensure that your computer stays in top condition. Fragmentation happens when your computer’s operating system fail to allocate enough contiguous space to store a complete file as a unit and instead places parts of it in gaps between other files. To illustrate this, let us compare it to a library where some users do not return the books to the proper place after they read them. The books in the library are arranged in a manner that would make it easy to locate any particularly book easily. If many books are no longer in their proper places it would take longer to find them. A fragmented file system is like a library where the books are not in their proper places.Think of defragmentation as a process of returning the books in their proper places so that it will be easier to find them using the card catalog. Windows XP and Vista have their own built-in defragmenting software but they are very slow. There are good defragmentation software that can do the job in a fraction of the time it would take for the Windows default defragmenter to finish. I recommend Power Defragmenter and Contig.
3. Clean your Windows Registry regularly. When your Windows registry is clogged with bad keys and entries the performance of your computer will slow down. There manual cleaning of the registry is not advisable to non-experts. There are some good registry cleaners like RegVac and Registry Mechanic that are very easy and safe to use.
4. Regularly get updates for your operating system and other important software. Some software do not offer automatic updates so it is advisable to regularly check their website and download and install updates manually.
5. Delete cookies.It is a good advice to periodically delete internet cookies to ensure that your internet runs at optimum speed. It is easy to delete cookies with Firefox, just go to Tools then click on Options. Select the “Privacy” tab then click the “Show cookies” button. Another box with the “remove cookies” button will pop up. Click on the “remove cookies” button. If you are using Internet Explorer 7, do this: exit Internet Explorer 7 then click start, then click run, then type inetcpl.cpl in the text field and click enter. The General tab will appear. Click “delete” under browsing history in the Internet Properties dialog box. The delete browsing history dialog box appears. Click delete cookies. Click “Yes”.
6. Regularly run Windows XP’s error-checking computer maintenance tool. It can be found by right-clicking the local disk icon in My Computer folder and selecting “Properties”. Click the Tools menu and click on the Error-Checking button. In the dialog box that pops up you can choose to run the error checker and scan for errors, or also fix system errors as it finds them.
7. Uninstall programs that you do not use. These programs occupy space in your hard disk. the more space you have in your hard disk the faster your computer runs.
8. Always run your computer on a UPS. Sudden electric surges are harmful to your computer.
9. If you are familiar with the inside of the casing, physically clean your computer. Remove dust that gather in the casing with cloth or vacuum. Be careful not to damage any part though.
10. Give your computer a rest by turning it off every once in a while.
It is important to maintain your computer. If you follow the above tips you can be assured that your PC will last longer and will always have optimum performance.
Related Image: How to Remove the Errors From Your Computer in One Go