The type of fat that is stored around the waistline, visceral fat, is more metabolically active and is easier to lose than the type of fat stored in other parts of the body. So most people, when they lose weight, will start to lose weight in the abdominal region first.
Following is a list of foods that will help you burn belly fat faster:
1. Oatmeal – Oatmeal breaks down slowly in your stomach so it does not cause a big spike in your insulin. It is also high in fibre. Both of these factors help to raise your metabolism and burn fat. Having oatmeal for breakfast can raise your metabolism by as much as 10% so you will burn fat at a higher rate.
2. Almonds – Eating almonds which are a high protein, high-fat food, increases your calorie burn for several hours after consumption. They are very filling so they help control your appetite. Almonds are high in monounsaturated fats which lower your risk of heart disease and diabetes.
3. Eggs – Egg protein, like other protein, helps build muscle which in turn burns fat. Protein has the added benefit of helping you to feel full longer. It also takes more energy to digest protein than fats or carbohydrates. Eggs are also high in choline, folate, and lutein.
4. Cruciferous vegetables – Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, cabbage, Swiss chard, and bok choy) are all high in folate. The more folate in your diet, the lower your risk of obesity. Folate also decreases your risk of heart disease, stroke, Alzheimer’s, and depression.
5. Whole grains – When insulin levels spike, it signals the body to store fat. Whole grains are digested slowly so they do not cause a quick rise in your insulin level. One study found that people who ate whole grains lost more than twice as much belly fat as those who ate refined grains. Whole grains are also high in fibre which helps curb your appetite.
The more weight you have to lose, the more quickly you are likely to start losing fat in the abdominal region first.