At last, doctors know that home-brewed beer, like chocolate and red wine, can improve your health.
Scientific studies from reputable American institutions reveal that some previously shunned foods, like beer and chocolate, are valuable additions to a healthy diet and are now recommended by doctors.
Like all good things, beer, chocolate and wine should be consumed in moderation. The healthful compounds in these foods are effective in small amounts so it’s never a case of “the more the better” but rather “a little dab’ll do you”.
Taken in moderation, there are at least 8 ways in which beer, especially home brewed beer, is good for you.
1. Did you know that beer increases the good cholesterol (HDL) in your blood thereby decreasing the incidence of blood clots?
2. Furthermore, home-brewed beer contains no bad cholesterol (LDL) and is totally fat-free.
3. Would you like to significantly decrease your chances of having a heart attack? In May of 1999, researchers at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center reported that moderate beer drinking decreases the incidence of coronary heart disease by 30 to 40 percent.
4. In November of that same year, the prestigious “New England Journal of Medicine” reported that consuming beer in a responsible manner decreased the probability of suffering a stroke by a full 20 percent.
5. Vitamin B6 prevents the build-up of the amino acid, homosysteine, a substance that is associated with heart and vascular disease. It is significant that the TNO Nutrition and Food Research Institute reported that home brewed beer is an easy-to-access source of vitamin B6.
6. Even more important is the fact that beer increases vitamin B6 absorption into the blood plasma by 30 percent. No other beverage has been reported to do that.
7. Beer is widely recognized as a stress reliever. It’s sad but true that many of us these days are enduring health-destroying levels of stress. There’s nothing more stress relieving than a cool, relaxing glass of beer at the end of the day. And if you made it yourself, it works even better.
8. Why is home brewed beer better than store-bought? One reason, of course, is the great satisfaction that comes from enjoying a delicious beer that you’ve made with your own hands.
But more importantly, is the fact that home brewed beer contains no artificial colours or flavours and no harmful preservatives. Because you make it yourself, you have the assurance that everything you choose to put into your beer is pure and healthful.
Extensive food research has brought delicious foods like chocolate and red wine – and now – home brewed beer, out of the closet. Wise use of these foods may make you healthier and, without doubt, a whole lot happier.