A lot of people eat junk food simply because they have it around. The best way to keep yourself away from bad food is not to have it at all in your house. Start filling your refrigerator and cabinets with healthy choices today. You will see changes in your body faster than you think.
Your shopping list should have the following items:
1. A lot of vegetables and whole fruits
– Green leafy vegetables: spinach, arugula, lettuce … to make delicious and healthy salads.
– Cruciferous vegetables: Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts … to facilitate fat loss
– Frozen vegetables, mushrooms, carrots …
– Whole fruits: oranges, apples, grapefruits, pears, berries …
– Avocados: great source of healthy fats and fibers, used for salads, wraps or delicious smoothies.
2. Healthy seeds and nuts
– Almonds, pecans, walnuts, flax seeds: can be used for salad or ateen as snack
– Rice bran, oat bran, wheat germ: excellent source of fibers. Can be added to your pancakes or smoothies.
3. Healthy source of protein & fat
– Eggs: the most complete source of nutrients on earth
– Lean meats: chicken breast, beef, pork, lamb … fresh or frozen
– Fish: salmon, herring, cod … fresh or frozen
– Cheese: Cottage cheese, ricotta cheese …
4. Grains and starch
– Whole wheat pasta and bread – have a lot more fibers
– Brown rice and other dark color rice, not white rice
– Different types of beans
– Whole grain wraps
5. Sauces & dressings
– Nut butters like peanut, cashew or almond butter
– Butter – use sparingly. Butter is way better than margarine – the ultimate source of killer trans fat
– Healthy salad dressings: balsamic vinegar & extra virgin olive oil
– Maple syrup. Never use high fructose corn syrup!
– Raw honey
– Tomato sauce
– Dark chocolate (at least 70% or best, 90%): provide anti-oxidants and curb your sugar cravings
– Unsweetened cocoa powder – for hot chocolate drinks or baking
– Yoghurt & no-sugar added dried fruit.
– Green tea, black tea, red tea, white tea … any type of tea you like to burn more fat.
As you can see, all the foods above are healthy and delicious choices you can make for yourself and your family. You can make many types of great dishes with them and at the same time, supply your body with optimal nutrients and keep your calorie take in check.