If you want a child to clean their plate, you might try downsizing the amount of food that you
give them. Making fun snacks that children will eat might just include miniaturization.
Keeping the snack pint-sized for the pint-sized eater will encourage the child to eat everything
on their plate. The child will have a feeling of accomplishment because
Mom is pleased.
Pediatrician suggests that children who are picky eaters respond to smaller portions of foods or food that are scaled down in size especially for them. Sometimes when we load up a kids plate with too much food, we discourage rather than encourage their appetites.
Lots of food on a plate may overwhelm a small child. A bright idea is to offer small mini portions of food to children and watch them clean their plates.
Some innovative ways to add fun and nutrition to snacks include:
- 1) Adding color and shapes to basic foods like sandwiches offers children a new way to look at old favorites. 2) Create faces on a sandwich with vegetables like carrots of raisins makes a fun lunch treat. 3) Using molds to cut the sandwich into interesting shapes. 4) Add peanut butter and raisins to celery to make this nutritious snack look more appealing. By providing small portions, the child is more likely to taste new foods. Some mini portions recipes for kids are offered below:
PEANUT BUTTER PINWHEELSIngredients:
- * Peanut butter * Honey * Granola * Tortilla
- 1) Spread creamy or chunky peanut butter and a little bit of honey on a fresh flour tortilla. 2) Sprinkle with granola 3) Roll up the tortilla 4) Slice it into bite-size pinwheels
Fun With Celery – Carrot SlicesIngredients:
- * Carrot Sticks or Celery Slices * Peanut Butter * Raisins
- 1) Cut celery into small slices. 2) Cut carrots down the middle for this recipe. 3) Spread with peanut butter. 4) Top with raisins.
- * 1 can of refrigerator biscuits * Pizza sauce * Shredded low-fat cheese * Toppings of your choice
- 1) Mash or roll out the biscuits flat. 2) Top with pizza sauce, cheese & other toppings. 3) Bake in the oven about 8 minutes until the cheese melts. 4) Serve The toppings can be anything from mushrooms, ham or different types of cheese. The toppings can be almost anything that the kids want to put on their mini pizzas. The pizzas can be made to order depending on individual taste. Other toppings may include green or yellow peppers, onions, garlic, pepperoni, Italian sausage. The toppings go a long way because very little is required to top the small biscuit. The mini pizzas are a quick and filling snack. The kids have a great time topping their pizza with all of their favorite ingredients. These mini pizzas can be frozen. They can be reheated in the microwave for a few seconds for a quick and hearty snack.
Featured Image: Pinterest