Is fashion all glitz and glamor? Is it worth to spend thousands of dollars just to don the clothes, shoes, bags and accessories? What’s the flip side to being ‘chic and cool’, die-hard fashion aficionado? Is there more to the latest trends that meet the eye?
Whether its jeans, sweaters or skirts; pants, dresses or shirts; coats, jackets or suits; lace, leather or fur, we are constantly bombarded with glossy images of fashion every time we click on the tv or flick through a magazine.
But the sad reality is that what become of this mad pursuit is not happiness but anorexia nervosa, depression, low-self esteem and a host of problems that affect our health and well-being.
While it is fair to say that individuals are responsible for their own actions, we should not underestimate the powerful impact of anticipating images by the fashion industry.
Through the various media, we are threatened daily with images of the so-called ideal lifestyle, which dictates for us how we should look, think and act. Failure to conform to this trend will make you be seen as a ‘dork’, ‘square’, ‘ugly Betty’, old-fashion and lacking in taste.
The result of this is the complete subjugation of our minds into acceptance of such unrealistic iconic roles without any questions.
Fashion is, without doubt, not really a reflection of consumer taste. It strips us off the power to be ourselves. We are told what to buy, what dress to wear, what shoes to walk in, what bag to carry, what accessories to show off.
The fashion industry that make us helpless and at their mercy. It does NOT represent reality. Instead it conjures unashamed visual images of: –
– Luxurious and expensive clothes and accessories which are exclusively only the rich and famous that could afford.
– Stereotyped clothes which project women as vain, vulnerable and weaklings – mere objects of seduction.
– Outrageous styles which not only hurt, but also hinder women’s movements and mobility.
– Outlandish clothes which are just not practical for daily wear (eg: feathered skirts, bushy hats etc).
– Silly creations and trends that will make you look like a human freak.